View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:54 (Ref:663686)   #35
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Very interesting responses.
Vitesse,and the Daytona Charger about the pace of the Pop-mobile, so you can't blame the startline marshalls. What should they do leave 4 minutues between cars.
As to 'it's only supposd to be practice' comment. When I practice for the first time at a hillclimb am not familliar with, I treat it as a bit of fast road driving, which ain't 20mph.
As for the big American behemoth's not suitable for English hillclimbs. Maybe but it's supposed to be a NASCAR racer. Even American competition car's can corner. If alternatively the car was not in good shape mechanically, then don't as an owner be arrogant enough to accept an invitation to a world class.event. I certainly couldn't bring a car to any event thet I was to compete in, if it wasn't spot on.
Sorry Mrs Blackx, but Lee's spot on when he says it shouldn't be a parade lap for millionaire's to publisise their wealth in front of the peasants. However I also agree that none of this is good reason to miss the event as it i still, just about, the jewel in the motorsport weekend calendar.
It's not envy either. Being involved in motorsport for over 25 years, I been pleased to observe that real racers are the same under the skin, as each other. Whether they have a Peugeot 205 or a Ferrari 250 SWB they have the same enthusiasm for winning. It's the ones with money but no enthusiasm, that are hard to like.
Any way nobody's asking for 10/10ths from everyone. Just don't give us 2/10ths.
Remember this is supposed 'The Festival of Speed'
Incidentaly the gate reciepts were 158,000!

Last edited by C R Box; 17 Jul 2003 at 10:03.