View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2020, 09:20 (Ref:4007913)   #12
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the 2022 engines will be the same as the current generation ones. Looking back to when Renault withdrew from F1 a few years back, Benetton ran the same engines but rebadged them Mecachrome IIRC. In the same way, perhaps Red Bull could continue to run the existing Honda units themselves. Is engine development restricted / frozen? If so, then this might be a viable option and they could remain competitive.

Given how overly complex the engines are, I cannot see why any new manufacturer in their right mind would enter F1 - especially considering how bad PR Honda got with their underpowered and unreliable engines when they entered. I assume that a new engine manufacturer would be unlikely - unless F1 rules change to simplify engine regs considerably.
Could be the case, IIRC Mechachrome was Briatore wasn't it, but in this case do we think Honda would want to commit resources themselves even if RBR was paying unless it could be a Mugen run programme that RBR badge themselves.

The Perez to RBR rumours seem to be gathering pace, maybe his sponsors wpould fund the engines?

OT, but the Mercedes to selling to Ineos runours aren't going away either. I think Daimler are batting it off at the moment by saying they have no plans to sell the team - but the Ineos rumours are built around them buying a major stake (70%).