View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2020, 08:56 (Ref:4010548)   #3
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Not a chance! Greta Thunberg and her acolytes would rain indignation on the idea of fleets of racing cars being transported around the world for no purpose other than making a noise while racing.The total amount of greenhouse gas generated would probably be wrongly calculated and fed to the general public who would join the condemnation.The sponsors would briskly step away because of the image problem it would represent.If top level motorsport is to survive, it has to demonstrate some sort of relevance or we might be left with no alternative to watching Formula E.

Strangely,the generation of millions of tons of greenhouse gas by vehicles transporting football fans never gets a mention.
I get what your saying, but what's the alternative? Stick with the current formula, which is already close to irrelevant to the broader automotive world, let alone in 5 years time?

Then you either skip directly to electric, which I reckon would still be a bit too early for F1.
Or you have hydrogen, which would have significant (perhaps prohibitive) cost and weight implications, with also serious question marks regarding relevance if hydrogen use remains marginal in the automotive world.

I reckon generally the target audience for F1 does and will not have the sustainability as their main concern. The use of synthetic fuel will keep it socially/politically acceptable enough for the time being. What's the difference between running mega date centres on wind mills to power our irrelevant youtube video's or let a few F1 cars run on it?

Sure some manufacturers may leave. They will be back when FE and F1 merge once battery tech has evolved enough. In the meantime, we'll have very exiting racing, thank you!
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.