Thread: LM24 Prototypes at Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1247762)   #34
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow what a response... I'm looking forward to the response the article will get.

My point of view is an open one - but my suggestion is based on a few factors mostly influenced by german beer in a too long wait for a plane! (Gi_Gav knows what I mean!)

First some speculation - the way I heard the tale (pre MN) was that the P2 the they have built will also be the P1 with a different engine. This sounds like Porsche are hedging thier bets, perhaps knowing something we don't

One of the rumoured reasons the 2000 Porsche never saw the light of day (well in public at least) was that the family decided that Porsche and Audi were not to go head to head. Perhaps the Audi R9/R10 will go the same way as the Porsche - or perhaps the R9/R10 IS the Porsche. Last I heard of it Audi were considering making it diesel (must be rubbish that... mustn't it??)

The other rumoured (Major) manufacturers looking at LM have gone quiet, apart from Ford who went GTS with Aston.

So my suggestion is this... drop LMP1 totally, allow old P1 cars to be converted to P2 spec. P2 and GTS equalised to be a joint top class. Leaving LM with just 3 classes. If the ACO were to make this move in the next 6 months its would give time for any new prototypes that may or may not exist to be developed to P2 spec. Bear in mind just how old the Audi actually is... are Audi interested any more or are they reducing involvement to allow Porsche thier glory in 07.

for my full opinion and those of others I'll be speaking too you'll have to wait and see but I watch this debate with much interest. Bear in mind this is more specualtion and opinion than any firm facts - rather like a lot of the manufacturers that could be doing LM in 06 or 07.