View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3816197)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
playing devils advocate a bit plus i enjoy supposition particularly when facts/comparisons are hard to come by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcollantine View Post
I don't necessarily disagree but at the same time Hamilton's been out-qualified and out-raced in the last two rounds. And remember 2014 at Red Bull...
we have seen what an unmotivated LH looks like and it is quite different then the LH we saw after the summer break in 2017. he is a streaky driver and one that probably needs to manufacture a little bit of controversy to help himself get motivated (skipping the London event last season for example after which he was mega).

we also saw him in an uncompetitive Mclaren where Button had the measure of him over the couple of seasons they were team mates. i have to think part of that was down to Button not being bothered by any manufactured controversy. Nico struggled with it but ultimately found a way to overcome it...then he retired cause LH is LH and life is too short.

obviously i dont know any of these guys so this is complete conjecture, but from what i have seen/my impression, DR strikes me as more unflappable then Bottas and thus more likely to replicate the success of Button and Nico as LH's team mate.

so i think the 2014 SV vs DR comparison is one with some merit. SV had just won 4 in a row and found the 2014 car wanting. its not surprising that he went through that season with a different level of motivation then he had in prior years and DR was able to take advantage of that.

so, if the 2019 Merc is not the best of the best, i do very much think this is a fair comparison to the 2014 RB season is a valid comparison.

im not going to say DR would beat (moonwalk) LH in the same car over the course of the season...the only real fact is that there is a reason why they need to run the races first.

but looking ahead to 2019...a LH vs DR pairing is really the one i want to see the most as i do think it would be a lot closer then some may think...and im a LH fan!

just straight opinion but i just get the sense that DR is ready to take the next step in his career and i dont feel the same about Bottas.