View Single Post
Old 22 Jan 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3952812)   #1231
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i cant say i remember about a part failing a required safety test 6 times before they got it right!
I also don't remember that detail. To be honest, that is quiet shocking to me. I can imagine failing 2-3 times maybe. But at some point you stop, step back to pause and regroup. What is the saying?

Quote:
There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.
Clearly when you do it that many times, it is taking more time and money to get it right. That many times it sounds like they were throwing it at the wall to see if it might stick! (no pun intended!) But basically, try again and hope it works right the next time?

Now, the detail I am curious about is, was that six times a full test (with FIA technical delegate present, etc.) or does that include internal testing that failed prior to them doing a real certification test? I can't imagine that is six attempts at certification.

No doubt the crash behavior is simulated (via computer) many times prior to physical testing. I broadly assume that teams will do a physical test in-house prior to doing a sanctioned test? Especially if maybe they are doing something different than normal? And those tests can be mixture of full scale and maybe smaller sections? Just like tunnel testing, they have to correlate reality to how it is modeled on a computer. Such as to make sure deformation happens as expected and provides the right resistance curve.

But, man six times! That seems crazy to me. Even if a mixture of in-house and attempts to get FIA certification.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 22 Jan 2020 at 20:19.