View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3952886)   #1232
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I also don't remember that detail. To be honest, that is quiet shocking to me. I can imagine failing 2-3 times maybe. But at some point you stop, step back to pause and regroup. What is the saying?

Clearly when you do it that many times, it is taking more time and money to get it right. That many times it sounds like they were throwing it at the wall to see if it might stick! (no pun intended!) But basically, try again and hope it works right the next time?

Now, the detail I am curious about is, was that six times a full test (with FIA technical delegate present, etc.) or does that include internal testing that failed prior to them doing a real certification test? I can't imagine that is six attempts at certification.

No doubt the crash behavior is simulated (via computer) many times prior to physical testing. I broadly assume that teams will do a physical test in-house prior to doing a sanctioned test? Especially if maybe they are doing something different than normal? And those tests can be mixture of full scale and maybe smaller sections? Just like tunnel testing, they have to correlate reality to how it is modeled on a computer. Such as to make sure deformation happens as expected and provides the right resistance curve.

But, man six times! That seems crazy to me. Even if a mixture of in-house and attempts to get FIA certification.

Richard
Don't forget the genius Paddy Lowe also oversaw the design of an illegal front suspension with too many elements, maybe that compromised strength when it was put right