View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2015, 14:30 (Ref:3529321)   #2410
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm struggling to understand what they meant by this: If they were referring to Porsche's battery system, then is it not true that Toyota will be going to a battery system similar to Porsche's next year? Is it not strange to opt to go to a similar system if they consider it to be "non- threatening"?
If they are talking about Porsche being in the 8MJ class, then Toyota is also working on joining the 8 MJ class next year, so it makes no sense.
To not be too worried about a team (albeit two different cars) that won the last race of the season, had 50% of the poles in last years championship and got pole in the first race of this year's championship and came second only to Audi in the first race, seems to me to be disingenuous ( and to be honest a little disrespectful) at the very least.
Why would Porsche become less of a threat as races go on? There was certainly no indication of this at Silverstone (The worst track for Porsche in the championship), and I still have to read/hear from any of the Porsche drivers or engineers complaining about their system not working properly as the race go on.
Porsche weak point seems to be with there tire-wear, not their hybrid system.
If by all of this what they were really trying to say is that they are benchmarking against Audi rather than Porsche, then I can fully understand that. Porsche are doing the same. The difference is that Porsche are doing that without disrespecting Toyota.
The engineers said that Porsche's energy recovery system recovers far less energy as the race goes on compared to Audi and Toyota, and so they have less power and so become less of a threat.
Their words, not mine.
As I mentioned in my first post, I'm not at all technically minded, I'm just passing along what was said as I thought some people might find it interesting.

I don't think it was Toyota disrespecting Porsche. It was two engineers pointing out what they perceive to be a flaw in a rival's system.