View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3529438)   #2423
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
I don't see combination of battery and capacitor work in this kind of application. You need high power either for charge or discharge, I don't see combining lower power battery in the mix. If you already have high power battery I don't see benefit in having capacitors as a buffer.
I find what you say quite accurate but I wanted to ask wouldn't the super capacitors absorb current spikes that the batteries cannot handle (or without handling, would extend the service life)? If the batteries and capacitors are in parallel the batteries can charge the capacitor bank when car is not in boost. Then for boost periods the capacitors can be discharged at a high rate. Similarly on regen, since you are never really regenerating 6-8MJ in a single braking zone, the capacitors can absorb the smaller amount of energy per corner and then discharge themselves into the batteries at a lower rate.

The capacitors buffer the batteries in all scenarios by absorbing the peak charge and discharge currents. This should make for a happier battery and one that can be optimized for energy density rather than power density.