Old 23 Jun 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2235311)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Watching the start of one of the V8 races at Sandown, with the shot looking back to the start from turn 1, and the massive cloud of exhaust fumes completely blocked out the view of the chase cars - you could only just dimly see their headlights. The same shot at the start of the Formula Ford race just prior to that, had the chase cars clearly visible. I had never noticed the extent of these fumes before, and frankly it terrified me.
At Hamilton there was a big black patch on the wall at one corner exit (I'm not familiar enough with the circuit to remember which one). I think that they should change the regs to eliminate fuel mixtures that produce these fumes (it is just from running rich for better power), not only does it look pretty bad but it can't be good for the drivers/marshalls/spectators, particularly at street tracks where less dispersal occurs. I think they should have to run catalytic converters, unless they can achieve the same emissions through tuning.

As for "carbon footprint", I expect the V8SC championship would probably be better than the AFL for example, with all their plane travel.