View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:09 (Ref:839089)   #112
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Interesting, do you think if I were to take a well known driver (F1 possibly) it would be possible to get a works drive in a number 4 car for similar budget or would I have to come up with full costs?
Mmmmmm - good question!

Obviously, there are going to be openings for a well known driver, but the top teams would most likely want to pair them with a 'known' Dakar navigator. But I am pretty sure that there are deals to be done - rather like any other branch of motor sport (where we all know that a team with two drivers can be using rich plonker a to fund really good but poor driver b.)

I can only go on my experience with Patrick Tamby. Originally he had cut an informal deal to put him into the French Land Rover dealer's Range Rover team. That fell through and Patrick was, by then, so keen to do it that he found a lot of funding of his own to ensure the seat - I am talking 1987 and I am talking £100s k!

If you are even half serious, the best place to start is probaly the organisors - Amaury Sports Organisation in Paris (see www.dakar.com) to get info on teams (and sell them the idea).

I for one would love to see more british 'names' involved so that it gets the same level of attention here as in the rest of eurpoe, where it is megga