View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2020, 21:01 (Ref:4016407)   #8
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Id have loved an explanation just so that we can understand why the round was lost, i always enjoyed attending the Silverstone round so for me personally its a shame but if we can get a reason then it makes it easier to swallow.
The same reason every other major GT series is giving the UK a miss in 2021: Brexit.

Specifically, the uncertainty around entry rules and the possibility of customs delays, visas, border queues and so on. In SRO's case this was thought manageable for ~28 cars for the Brands sprint round but not for the 50+ cars and support series for a Silverstone Endurance round.

There also seems to have been some tension between SRO and Silverstone in the past, with rumblings about low attendance. I also think Silverstone charge a lot, which is why it's the only SRO event of the year closed to spectators on the Friday. Plus, it's ugly, the empty stands look horrible on TV and it's not seen as being as glamorous as other circuits SRO like better.