View Single Post
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3931667)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
No matter where you are on the grid and what place you're fighting for, as a driver in round 1, round 11, round 15 or whatever you fight as hard as you can, to the best of your ability to look after your own race and your own results. Why should it be any different in round 30?
I agree with the theory, in principle. But how do you tie that in with a direction from Alan Gow for people to 'not get involved with the championship battle'. To me, that is something that will be impossible to achieve.

Looking at R3, and take a single driver in isolation:
At the end of L9, Shedden was immediately behind Jordan. Jordan was not involved with either JP or GS's teams, so should he:
a) - interfere with the title by defending hard against Shedden?
b) - interfere with the title by allowing Shedden past with little effort?

Either way - some fans will feel he has done the wrong thing, and both actions can be interpreted as going against the guidance from Mr Gow.

In much the same way, we have to wonder how the audience would react to a driver being taken out (accidental or otherwise).
When Jordan had his accident at Donington, did the other driver(s) involved face accusations of destroying someone's title chances? Would the opinion be the same if something similar where to happen in R28?

It is a fact of sport that, as a title draws closer to a conclusion, the associated emotions will be escalated amongst most people involved. This leads to actions facing greater scrutiny, and a higher level of effect being attributed to lesser acts.

This is what I think Mr Gow is referring to when he gives his guidance - that drivers should be wary of acting in an emotional manner and leading to unwanted consequences. If this is held to be true though, then the majority of drivers who (as is deemed) gave Shedden an easy pass did not do so in a rash moment of insanity, or out of an emotional burst, but as a considered and calculated act.

Therefore, the result has to be looked at not as a travesty of sporting contest, but in the context of sportsmanship on and off the track influencing the outcome.