Thread: PWC: 2020
View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3848867)   #35
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
It was a pretty small turnout. For what it's worth, when I talked so some local fans they told me that the previous event, a Phish music festival scheduled only a couple weeks earlier, had to be cancelled due to the track's water being contaminated. That could be a pretty big turn off.
That wasn't it at all. This was a holiday weekend and the track should have been full. It's that they never marketed the race. A friend of mine lives in Corning and had no idea there was a race at the track that weekend. He even drove through Watkins Glen on Saturday to go on a beer tour around Seneca Lake. That's pretty bad because he normally goes to anything at the track. If you don't market the event, nobody will show up (unless it's Lime Rock). Just like at COTA, the PWC event is like a club event. Crew outnumbers the spectators 2 to 1.

Quote:
The overall drop in car counts isn't anywhere near enough to be concerned with. GT is the only class where there's a real issue with car counts,
That's good to know. So a 20% drop in revenue from the teams is no big deal. I never knew that the sanctioning body could care less about anything but GT. If that's the case, get rid of everything but GT and maybe keep GTS.

It sort of makes sense as the only updates here are on GT and GTS as the TC classes get no love at all from the hard core fans. Maybe just ditch those classes and concentrate on GT and GTS. Fiddle faddling around with the race lengths, East West championships and maybe downgrading driver lineups along with adding more sub classes would be the answer. I wonder if a 2 hour series with only Bronze drivers might be the ticket. To make it better we could have a lower level and call it Lead rated. This would be guys that have a valid drivers license and no more than two DE days under their belt.

There's always an option to take old GT3 cars and making GT3Xtreme. Just make it like Time Attack but the cars must have wings more than double what they were originally. After that, more turbos and NOS.