View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3889598)   #2227
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you g.

It is bad when you have a bit of time on your hands and a race car sitting in the garage...
As some will recall, I have been bugged by the gear change quality in the car for years, and when it works it is a surprise at 70 mph, so my intent wondered off to improving it.

The layout is in the diagram below, and the major inefficiency is in the 45 deg short link from UJ2 to UJ3.
1/2 the effort I put into a change is lost in that link, so the effort to select and change gear is quite high and contributes to the quality of the change, negatively.

Tried before but with far more determination was to make a much longer and 'straight' angle between UJ2 and the input shaft of the box right at the end of the car.

After some tedious fabrication and welding and such like against all odds I have managed to sneak the new link just under the one silencer but not hanging down under the belly of the car, vulnerable to attack should I go off-roading in the car (it has happened before...)

All done and painted and my right knee decided to tear a bit of ligament, so stopping all re-assembly!

So we have gone from all ready for the year to the car is not ready for the start.

I've had the knee thing before so some rest is called for and all will be fine.
The Members Practice Day at Loton Park will prove this effort one way or another.
Everything I've done is reversible, so I can go back to the last layout within an hour using a few spanners.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0073.JPG