View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2998301)   #1258
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
My apologies if my explanation is confusing, but a look at the current holding structure (my next post) should make it less so.

Bernhard and Dumas are being loaned by Porsche to Audi at the request of Audi and the drivers.
Secondly : it is not like Porsche has absolutely no know-how in LMP racing. Not that long ago, their LMP2 was giving the LMP1's (Diesels) something to think about on the short circuits.
It is also rumored that Porsche let the Audi engineers have a "good look" around their aborted LM2000 car before Audi developed their R8 as part of the agreement for VAG co-developing the Cayenne, This took place way before the Porsche-VAG tie in. Those that know Porsche and its history, will know that there has always been strong ties and deals with VAG. (
shared parts on the 356, Porsche 914, Cayenne, the Porsche+Audi American commercial deal, etc)
Also - When it was agreed that Dumas and Bernhard be loaned to Audi, there were no plans for a Porsche LMP1 entry.
Finally, I suspect the 2014 rules may render much of their "gained" know how obsolete.
There are always drivers changing teams in racing. This is nothing new.
The R8 was actually ahead of the Porsche LMP2000, in the design progress, so Audi couldn't have gained so much, if the rumor is true.
However you are right with Audi Porsche sharing many ties, and the LMP / SUV deal is a good example on (almost) "in-house" regulation.
The Joest team is also a strong tie in between Audi and Porsche, and none the less Tom and Allan who secured Porsche it's last two overall victories at Le Mans.

But again so much depends which team Porsche choses (or not) to collaborate with, if they will use a manufacture for the chassis (Dallara!?), Drivers and so on.
I do not see that much sharing of technology between Audi and Porsche, as they might decide to run two different technologies (Diesel and Petrol!?), to take advantage of the any regulation preferences (like some say diesel has).