View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2019, 02:07 (Ref:3920610)   #162
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I think even BMW realise they were too extreme aesthetically, hence the later S version having wider wheels / tyres and rear track, but at the expense of battery range..... I’ve been driving one for over two years in all weathers including snow and ice without problem, and I’d say that the tyres perform just as well as those on any normal hatch with 16” wheels and higher profile but wider tyres. (The 19” tyres on the i3 have the same footprint as a Mini One on 16”-ers, apparently.) The handling of the BMW is dominated by the rear PU and resultant rear weight bias, which leads to increasing understeer if you push too hard. It does offer a lot of fun and plenty of lateral grip if you keep within sensible boundaries!
You should do better with a narrow tyre in the rain, higher contact pressure and less water to pump out from under the tread.