View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1511733)   #15
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I'll put you out of your misery, It seems that it was something really rare and unrecorded.

Here is a condensed version of the discussion on the other Forum, the id came from the race numbers and the monogramme on the side. It is as good as we can get until someone comes up with another clearly identified picture to confirm it.

Is it possible this is a DNS for the Kaiserpreis? If the photo was taken in 1907, developed, printed as a postcard, put on sale, purchased by someone who posted it on Sept 1st, then it is likely the “unfortunate roadside event” had occurred some time before.
The Kaiserpreis was held on June 13/14. The number/alpha identification was used to identify the manufacturer/driver, so 7 was given to Benz and A,B,C for Hemery, De Bojano, and Spamann. Now, 4A was Taddeoli on a Rebour and 4B ……well there was no 4B in the list of starters. But I’d love to see a picture of a Rebour. Maybe he was overturned in ditch on his way to scrutineering? (It happens; I’ve done it myself on the way to Curborough one year a long time ago ).

Anyway chaps, lets have a look at a Rebour if anyone has a picture. All I know is that it was eliminated in the preliminary rounds on the 13th, and it had a bore/stroke of 150x113 (source Gerald Rose, A Record of Motor Racing, 1909), which if true makes it outrageously over-square for the era.

Steve Denner, Australia.

You've got it! 4B Rebour - "Entered but did not appear in heats" So you are looking at a picture of a Rebour and presumably the monogram is that of J......Rebour the maker. I found this on http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/g...1925/1907d.htm - sorry not clever enough to do a link

ps found this too, company was "Rebour-Catalonia" 1905-1908 at Puteaux

Martin Trentham, GB.

Update from my French expert - any comments.

OK for Rebour
1907 KaiserPreis
2 Rebours entered (after Omnia magazine)
One only started for qualification (too many cars). Driver Taddeoli retired
on lap 2.
No Rebour in the race.
Suspect it's an old Mercedes 60 HP. Or a Fiat ?
Not a single line in the press.
Never heard of Rebour afterwards.
a true Tiroir de l'Inconnu isn't it ?

Otto Cycle, Germany.

Steve McQueen.