View Single Post
Old 29 Jun 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2239634)   #50
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
My thoughts about widening the tub has nothing to do with safety. Think of it as quick way to eliminate aero development areas, especially if they push the tub out to the edge of the chassis as in the Group C days. That way you have monocoque in the way and it is difficult to loop hole around.
I'd be all for that, with the regular Group C cars they all had wide cockpits, and looked great. It was the 3.5 cars that set the trend for bubble cocklpits and shrink wrapped bodywork, now we see those single seater noses and intergrated 'wings' on the sides of the cars etc.

I always found it interesting you had standard, almost old style Group C looking Mercedes CLR's, competing head to head with the more radical Toyota GT-ONE's back in '99.

Quote:
I agree, it's the best example of what they are trying to achieve. But it doesn't make sense to have CLR looking race cars competing with current P1s. You just end up with rules that will ultimately favor one over the other. The ACO would likely give the Evo cars some extra benefit to get everone to make one.
That's not neccesarily a bad thing, they don't want to chuck out current cars, let them phase out naturally.

Quote:
Didn't it even have a road car based engine? Sounds a lot like the ACO has come full circle.
The orignal CLK-GTR had a production derived V12, I think it was quite an old engine. The CLK-LM and CLR had a V8, it may even have been based on the block from the C9/C11.

Last edited by JAG; 29 Jun 2008 at 11:35.