View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2632287)   #59
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGroupA View Post
My idea of why Volvo didn't promote the Magnum Racing team was that they didn't performed as expected in 1985. So they closed down that team also, and both Ulf Granberg and Anders Olofsson joined up with the R.A.S team as we know in 1986. But even the R.A.S team also rejected the WTT-System that Volvo Motorsport had manufactured due to it for failing, and also was in violation of contract with Volvo in the end. And after the disqualifying of some races and due to the violation of the contract to Volvo, Volvo withdrawn from group-A and R.A.S was dropped instantly.
As I remember, the change from Eggenberger to RAS (as Jesper says, at that time stage basically known for running small-class VW Golfs etc) was greeted with a fair amount of surprise by the UK press. I also think I recall there being hints in some of the British press race reports in '86 that the relationship between the factory and RAS wasn't good- presumably the contractual issue over WTT that you mentioned