View Single Post
Old 27 May 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1921987)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffacus
John, the Sunbeam in the petrol station is great!

I too saw those Lotus' in the lorry, real shame they didn't get them out, some of my favourite cars from the early 90's (I was only around six years old at the time you see so I didn't see them on the TV!)

The article about the event in Autosport mag is quite interesting, echoing many thoughts here. I did go on the Sunday in the end (I was helped out though, I didn't pay £50!) I certainly wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Nice to share your photos, you can check out my galleries below:

Friday

Sunday
Thanks Jamie, and some great images on your site, as indeed on all those links posted on this thread.

I think Kev was pulling his punches a bit in Autosport, and afterall we want this event to improve and provide better value rather than disappear. However, whilst you would expect Richard Morgan to talk up the successes of the event, his comments seem to be pure PR and I really don't think he has fully grasped the concept of what this event is or should be about, even if it was his idea!! Unless, he means that the F1 experience should be based on contemporary F1, in which case I don't see how that can work without the presence of contemporary F1 teams and cars with all the cost that would entail, then it has to be a Historic Race meeting, even if you label it something else. One current year against 85 years of GP history - there's no contest, is there? The comments of Martin Stretton, Steve Allen and Simon Hadfield seem to be far more realistic. At the end of the day, this event wouldn't have even take place but for the very substantial presence of Historic racing teams and cars, and you've only got to read the CVs and interests of the events patrons, Sir Stirling Moss, Tim Parnell and Nick Mason in the event brochure to see that.