View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2494021)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jo,

Donington Park seems to have a policy of allowing blue badge vehicles access to the outer parts of the circuit. I don't know whether this applies to all events or just those with smaller predicted attendances. You would need to check with them. I think very large vehicles (a coach party for example) may not be viable but most others are. There were quite a few making use of the option at the BTCC meeting. I assume there is some sort of arrangement to let the veicale in through the paddock area.

That said, once out of the vehicle the tracks are gravel and the banks are grass and not very wheelchair friendly in many places. However if you are in a vehicle he should be able to get to several good locations directly.

There is a rather well located and recently constructed exclusive (by the looks of it) viewing location set well up he the hillside near the Old Hairpin. I think you should be able get a vehicle quite close and there are ramps to the platform. It has a great sound system for the commentary and is not too far from the Starkey's Bar and Toilets buildings. Iirc at the BTCC a temporary portaloo had been installed on the platform.

From memory Silverstone would be pretty good as well. That said Silverstone always seems to me to be a place that you you can easily move around but to do so you have to travel large distances. Donington seems a little more compact and it helps that so far when moving around the circuit you can pretty much stay within viewing range of any track action. However with the natural rise and fall of the land it is not somewhere I would want to try to spend a day moving around in wheelchair in the absence of a vehicle or, perhaps, a helper or two.

I hope this is helpful to you.