View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4074752)   #90
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I was at the chicane too and while of course it was the drivers who hit the tyres , and not the reverse, other drivers were caught up in the ensuing carnage. I am at most Croft meetings and have lost count of the number of times those damn tyres have punished a small error by wrecking a car.

I would hate to be the person explain to the coroner why , in spite of a catalogue of accidents there , and the fact that the danger is acknowledged by the decision to remove them for single seaters , it was still right to retain them , despite the obvious foreseeability of a very serious accident.

The chicane is slightly misnamed, as it is extremely fast compared to a 'real' chicane , but is a fabulous place to watch car control in the wet. Where things get iffy is not the chicane itself , but 50- 75m later , as cars struggle to keep on the Tarmac and often drift onto the grass.

As for a remedy- bin the tyres now (both sets, as the pile on the RH side also cause damage) and build the kerbs high/bumpy enough to be an unattractive, but safer option to hit