View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2008, 01:19 (Ref:2316317)   #18
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't really comment on the professional level, but certainly at the club level, the environment that "some" clubs thrive on are clearly not geared toward setting girls up with a career in motorsport. In my experience, girls get turned off long before they get a chance to prove themselves as quality drivers, which begs the question, are the handful of girls that get through really the best drivers and therefore a good representation of what women can really achieve in a race car? I do admit my opinions are biased because of some of the treatment my wife received at events in the past.

I find it interesting that any female that succeeds, is automatically evaluated in terms of what male attributes she has that lead to the success. I personally think the sport has a lot of growing up to do in this area, and I know very few would believe that “you can do anything” line really applies to females in motorsport. Maybe it starts with that scary phrase "You were beaten by a girl!".

Now we just need a few more posts on physical strength to really get this going!