View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3704436)   #41
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
So you must forgive me for not really subscribing to the notion that different automatically equals good, or even desirable.
That's not really what I meant.

If F1 was the same now as it used to be - pick an era of your choice - it most definitely wouldn't be the worldwide spectacle that it is now, even if you view that spectacle as being on the wane.

When I said that being different was an inevitable and good thing, I meant it in terms of not perpetually looking backwards. Yes, changes sometimes happen for changes' sake, and yes they're not always successful, but any sport or entertainment business staying exactly the same when everything else changes around it is doomed.

Look at cricket - The T20 format is hugely successful and popular, yet simultaneously belittled by 'purists'. The existence of T20 does nothing to change the test format or long form matches, but the latter was clung onto in desperation by the ECB as the more 'pure' form of the game even though nobody went to watch it (at club level). It's the same difference with BTCC style racing and endurance sports cars, both have a place and both can be successful but there's a lot of sneering on both sides from the enthusiasts.

Massive generalisation, yes, but I just don't agree with constantly looking backwards. It gives me neck-ache.