View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3727825)   #137
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Call me callous; but why would anyone donate to this?

ANYONE involved in motorsport at the level he was competing at is very wealthy. I'd much rather see people donate money to others, who have no publicity, than to some rich kid who got hurt racing. Hundreds of people every year suffer injuries as bad or worse, and most will be unlikely to see £260k worth of support in a lifetime. It just seems so unfair that the fact he was ludicrously rich to begin with will now mean he gets even more money, when some people are desperately struggling. I'd humbly suggest rather than contributing to this Just Giving, make a donation to Scope or anyone of a number of these charities https://www.scope.org.uk/support/fam...iagnosis/links

P.S. I'm well aware he's not one of the most heavily funded drivers on the grid, but the point still stands that anyone there at all is better off than 95% of the population.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's still a hell of a lot of money. Some parents beg, borrow and steal to get their kids on the grid and support their dreams, and while they may not be on the breadline it's still a big financial commitment to do it. AFAIK Billy's funding is more akin to Tom Ingram - with local, family/friends type businesses chipping in, than it is Jason Plato's mega-deals with national companies .

Also, this has garnered a lot of media attention and people who saw the incident may well be emotionally affected - people will feel involved and it will help them to help Billy.