View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:24 (Ref:3991094)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
perhaps controversial, but i think 94-97 provided a good mix of the best driver vs the best car.

obviously i am rating Schumi as the best driver during that period and the Williams as the best car...so putting all potential controversies aside (but i doubt anyone will care much for that caveat though) the best driver won the first 2 drivers titles and then the best car took its driver to the next 2 driver titles....stalemate.

2007 was an interesting year in that the Mclaren was the best car and while helped with the two Mclaren drivers taking points off of each other, Kimi was truly sublime finishing with more wins and closing out the season with 10 straight podiums. imo Kimi emerged as the best driver that season.

2008 i would say the Ferrari was the better car/package but i dont think Kimi had the same motivation and Massa, who i love so this pains me to say, ultimately failed to keep the better driver at bay.

88-89 with Prost Senna in the same machinery and even 2016 with Nico vs Ham adds another level to this in so much as what constitutes the best driver.

2016 i think was something special in that both drivers had the same machinery (with probably the least amount of favoritism ever shown between the two by management) and Nico managed to beat the best driver...a truly epic season from Nico but a real outlier on this topic.

maybe i would also put down a couple of Alonso at Ferrari seasons as a different kind of outlier...rather, a what happens when the 'best' driver (Alonso) doesnt deliver.

their team loses!