View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2020, 00:50 (Ref:3991532)   #216
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would guess you could build a lot of traction control and other features in a drive by wire system under the guise of complying with the maximum fuel flow and fuel economy regulations.
Pretty sure the accelerators would be a torque mapped control too, so the percentage depression of the pedal is the percentage torque required from the engine, and you would further map this for each gear. That would immediately be crude traction control. You could also control the rate the engine spools up to "protect it from damage", again traction control.
The technical regulations "try" to reduce the amount of gaming like you say. Sections 5.5 (Power unit torque demand) and 5.6 (Power unit control) specifically. Here is one example...

Quote:
5.5.3 At any given engine speed the driver torque demand map must be monotonically increasing for an increase in accelerator pedal position.
There is a handful similar to that. Even the one above has wiggle room for creativity IMHO.

But in the end, yeah, playing around with how the engine mappings work can help the driver in specific conditions.

Richard