View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2000, 12:46 (Ref:19590)   #23
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jared, yes, Indy is the reason that American open wheel racing is where it is today. Thank you Indy 500. Now lets move on. The thing is this. I feel that with motorsports rising in the conciousness of the "casual sports fan". And to them, American racing is NASCAR. After a while they may want something different. Open wheel racing, in my opinion, can offer them this. Through CART we get a variety of events, road circuit, airports, street and oval. I see this as a strength. Especially in this market which is dominated by oval racing. I have nothing against ovals per se. I can find them entertaining. But if I flick around to NASCAR, IRL, World of Outlaws, NASTRUCK, Dirt, Burnham Boilers etc. It's all gets to be the same. And if CART disappears from the scene, that is all we're left with. True, there is the ALMS. Which I like a lot. But there is work to be done there too. CART, though, is still, absence of the 500 not withstanding, a high profile series who has something more to offer. And, I think the series can be built into a success with out the 500. But as Craig pointed out, the series may be in danger of losing this profile. And it is declining largely due to ineffective marketing and management. Not the lack of the 500.