View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2020, 08:54 (Ref:4000886)   #2578
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
My racing exploits were all conducted on a shoestring, and I needed two evening jobs on top of my day job to even do that, but, being a bit of a wuss, one thing that I didn't scrimp on was safety. One of my first purchases was a John Aley roll-over bar, and I was one of the early saloon drivers to wear the latest fireproof Nomex suits plus the full fireproof underwear set with a face mask which I updated to a balaclava later on. Helmet was a Bell open face, first without a peak, and then replaced by one with a peak.

And this was at a time when drivers such as the late, great Gerry Marshall would jump in a racing car in his street clothes, and drive it without rollover protection.
I must admit Mike that when I see footage of saloon car racing from the 60's & 70's I always flinch at the lack of mandatory safety equipment. Very few appear to have had roll cages and those that did just had a simple hoop and centre brace back to the parcel shelf! Plus low backed seats and other standard looking items! Compared to a modern BTCC car for example it looks frightening!