View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3780469)   #5240
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Sure some of them are high end. But even those, if they are not backed by full or even semi-full mfg support but rather just given the nod to run the cars with stickers and sponsorship and some basic assistance, then I cannot really rank them up there with even privateer LMP1 teams.

Does anyone really think that someone like Mazda is throwing large sums of money at Joest after screwing around with Speedsource for millenia...
Look at it the other way around - would Joest and especially Penske bother if there wasn't serious money in those projects?

I'm not suggesting anything insane, but I don't think it's too different from what they had to work with for their ALMS campaigns. Sure, there is no need for megabucks R&D-programs, but if we look at the pure running costs we probably aren't too far away from anything we've seen e.g. in the latter R8 years in ALMS once there was no true factory competition.