View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3875670)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Terence, it’s just UK catching up with a Euro convention- eventually! And I doubt anything to do with leaving the EU, as if we’re not in it we don’t need to conform.... As Gerard says, it should allow trailers to be more easily traced if the number is permanently attached.

I would hazard a guess that it is more to do with the fact that the UK Parliaments (both Houses) voted last year to incorporate all the EU conventions and rules into UK legislation.

This is the thing that makes me laugh about the whole Brexit idea of the UK regaining it's sovereignty. People seem to forget that until our own Parliaments have debated and voted on all the stuff that comes out of Brussels that it doesn't have any force in the UK.

OK, the European Court may take a view on a matter that they consider doesn't meet EU standards, but, nevertheless, the UK can still create it's own version of what they think the EU meant to regulate. However, with the huge EU Bill passed last year, hundreds or possibly thousands of conventions, regulations and rules were incorporated into UK statute with virtually no debate. The idea is that our Parliaments will debate all these matters in the years to come with a view on whether the UK wants to keep them on the Statute Book or not. And that should keep them from introducing any new legislation for decades, if they actually bother to do it anyway.

And they talk about taking back control!