Thread: Team Ferrari: in F1
View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2019, 09:21 (Ref:3875866)   #328
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Alonso failed because he was stuck behind Petrov in 2010 amd squandered a 40 point lead in 2012? Interesting take on history....

2010 was quite mysterious i'll give you that but I'd give Bernie a ring to get your answer on that one. Basically Ferrari called the wrong strategy to put Alonso out of position in Abu Dhabi but there is no need to go back over it all again.

2012?! The consensus has long been accepted that Alonso did exceptionally well to be in contention for the title at all. From mid season onwards his car was not in the frame. He hung on as best he could. Vettel not retiring in Interlagos was a fluke by all accounts.

I recall Alonso making 2 or 3 gaffs at the worst in all his time with Ferrari whereas Vettel has done that near enough every season since he joined!

Alonso would annihilate Vettel!!
2012 At Brazil, when the title was on the line, Alonso sailed off the track multiple times and required assistance from Massa in the form of assistance in overtaking other cars and giving up positions. He barely had the legs on a driver that we all know is not even in the same league as him. He was absolutely not on the form he needed to be that day. Vettel not retiring was more than countered by Lewis and Hulk retiring from ahead of Fernando. He was gifted positions that day which kept him in the title fight, even from his own team mate.

I am a big big Alonso fan, but he had his chance at Ferrari and it was thrown away in a mixture of poor shows by him (granted, not that many, but there were enough to make a difference), and some terrible Ferrari tactics. I agree that generally speaking, Alonso is one of the bst, if not the best driver we’ve had on the F1 grid in the last few years. But that isn’t enough to force me to ignore that he achieved no more than Vettel at Ferrari, and multiple titles were squandered.