View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3236580)   #22
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
When the Sky deal was announced, i mused that it was dangerous because if people got used to 'missing' their Sunday staple GP's then they would also get used to the idea that there are so many other things you can do with your time.

Ergo, they drift away forever.
You make a very good point Peat. The more casual viewers with a glancing interest are less likely to get in to a routine if only half the races are live on a Sunday afternoon. I know a few people in that category. Sky can afford to have low figures because they make up for it in subscriptions where people will simply be watching one of their other channels instead. As you say though this is dangerous, especially for the long term popularity of the sport IMO. The BBC forced this deal due to mounting costs and hold most of the blame, but I am very surprised Bernie allowed this to happen. I know he is supporting a pay wall in many other countries in the world, but the UK has one of the largest audiences in comparison to it population.

I think maybe they underestimated just how many people would stop watching and perhaps thought it would drive more people to purchase Sky? I wonder what will happen when the current Sky contract runs out whether Bernie (if he's still in the job) will push for the rights to return to free to air or perhaps offer it at a lower cost to Sky in return for them offering it for free on freeview? Its clear both channels offer top class coverage, but its also important for people to be watching too. Its a shame we can't just have both channels available for all and people could choose which service they wished to view. I'm a bit of a fan of the BBC but it would be great to have the best of both.