View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2022, 08:31 (Ref:4115504)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
OK here goes a full Thruxton report from team Delta.Due to a lot of travel problems at airports and Dr Bob had to get back to London from Zandvoort where we were last weekend we decided not to go to the Red Bull Ring.Much disappointment from me as I was looking forward to racing in Austria. We will have to wait for another time. As it turned out this was correct decision as we found a 60 minuet race at Thruxton to do but the little Elite 100% reliability ended with a broken diff.It was good to get Robert to another track and he managed 30 min practice and half the qualy session before car broke.
Another reason was I could test a Delta we had rebuilt over the winter so customer told me to enter the car in the Jochen Rindt Trophy Race.
Saturday morning went like this. We sent Robert out for his practice on new tyres. I was in the pit lane when Delta mechanic came rushing up saying the Scrutineer had failed a customer Delta on seat belts looking a bit worn. I went along to the garage to find out what the fuss was about and then another team member comes rushing up to tell me Dr Bob is in the pits complaining of very bad vibration from engine. Flyping eck I rush back to pit lane only to see the Elite driving out on track.GRRRRR .Back to the belts and I convince scrut that we will go to Merlin at Castle Combe and get a new set.He is happy with that and agrees to let our customer qualify with old belts. I dispatch Delta son off to Castle Combe but then another crew member says the Elite is back in the pits again. Rush round and there he goes back out on to track again.More Grrrrrr .This time I wait in the pits and Robert comes back in to explain the problem with the vibration. Quickly realize whats going on so i rip the weights of the front wheels and send him on his way for rest of practice.
Phew relief but no !!!!. My friend who was running the Delta i am racing comes up and tells me the scrut has confiscated my crash helmet.This is another long story but thankfully Mary was coming over and she brought Mikes helmet for me to use. Thank you Mary.
Al in all an eventful morning.
I was just so glad by this time to get out on track and qualify the car.Ended up 21st and P5 in FF2000 class. We did a few changes on the car and I had a brilliant race . Sunday was more of the same although I was nursing high water temperature "suspect head gasket".On Aggregate I was P3 over both races so very happy with that and we had sorted a few teething problems with the car. Owner of the car came to watch but there is very sad story here as recently he has been diagnosed with MS and will not be able to race any more . The car is up for sale.As I said earlier diff failed in qualy with the Elite but thankful it was here and not at our next stop. LeMans.