View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2530261)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well. it's alright for some, gadding about the world with not a lot to do!

Historic racing is a broad church, and has never been better catered for than now, really. Also I believe that there are number of initiatives around to add to an already over crowded calendar but others may fall by the wayside. The recession has had an impact although, on the whole, I think our hobby has stood up well. It was only one of the reasons why the Masters Donington meeting had inadequate numbers of entries and I don't necessarily think that it was a typical Master event.

I agree that the 'dodgy' cars issue is one still to be addressed but I do think that there have been encouraging signs over the last 12 months. We have seen action taken at a couple of meetings this year.

As for this forum, I hope that it continues to thrive and attract new members. It is actually regularly a top ten performer in numbers of contributors/viewers on the whole of the Ten Tenth site. Naturally, in any discussion, we get sidetracked but going off topic actually breaches the rules, although we tend not to get too carried away with enforcing it if we can get the thread back on topic. Sometimes, we are able to split the conversation off into a new thread. Are you suggesting that we (in practice that's me, really) should run a tighter ship? It's not my way really, but if the consensus is that it is run too softly, a firmer stance could be taken, I guess, although, as a self confessed member of this 'forum mafia' you could become one of the victims of a stricter regime, JR! I know that you like to play Mr Grumpy from time to time but what I'd like to see from you personally, is some more positive stuff about your view of our mutual interest, since you are one of those contributing to it. Your contribution to the recent BDC meeting at Silverstone has been praised in a number of quarters, so you are not just a 'grumps'.

Incidentally, I do occasionally throw some opinions into my pictorial reviews, but I rarely get any bites. An example was my comments on the Classic about the Cooper Monaco. Maybe it's case of 'oh no, we've been there, done that'! However, times/circumstances/attitudes move on, and we need to be revisiting old issues if the old solutions are no longer appropriate or relevant.

Any views on how this forum can develop further is of course welcome, but they have to constructive and achievable.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Aug 2009 at 09:19.