View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2022, 13:11 (Ref:4103831)   #33
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I wasn’t the only one that noticed the lack of a crowd at Texas Motor Speedway. Marshall Pruett wrote a column about this. A highlight:

MP attempts to blame the track for this, including an early start time but he’s overlooking a critical issue — I’m not sure to what degree TMS is calling the shots here. Or at least all the shots.

The choice of dates was, well, highly problematic, as it was the same weekend as the 12 Hours of Sebring. But NBC had a time slot, so the race moved to March 20. It’s thus also quite possible that NBC also set or at least heavily influenced the time of the race as well.

And that’s the bigger issue — what’s good for NBC’s schedule may not be good for event profitability or, long term, IndyCar. Having logical schedules matters. IMSA is good at this. IndyCar seems quite willing to let television drive their schedule, to IndyCar’s detriment.
The Sebring conflict is a false argument, it has not conflicted in the past and yet no one attends. Highly doubt the option for Texas fans was travel to Sebring or Texas and watching Sebring the day before and going to the race on Sunday as a detriment to attendance is a garbage argument. Texas just isn't interested in any other slot so they're stuck with a spring race that no one cares about to have another superspeedway on the calendar. Can't do fall, COTA and football kill that idea, summer well I can't even begin to tell you why that's a non-starter so you're left with now. And getting on NBC is giant for the series, pretending that being on the OTA network is in any way bad for the series is basic misunderstanding of economics.

I watch most of the Indy season, may not all be live but Texas is a hard pass. Just zero interest in it and the shtshow it has become.