View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3856076)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
I am surprised people say women are at no disadvantage to men when it comes to driving racing cars. Either today's racing cars are too easy to drive or today's women drivers are more tough than they let on.
Is it really that different now? Michelle Mouton did alright in Group B - and those cars were absolute *******s to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
That’s sadly just a ratio thing, for every Susie Wolff there are 10 blokes that are just that little bit quicker.
I understand what you're saying about the ratio - if 1 in 100 drivers are women then the chances are the best driver is unlikely to be that woman. Get 25 drivers in 100 being women and the chance is hugely improved. So if there are going to be more women drivers at the top end of motorsport you need more at the bottom end - maybe this series will encourage more to take up karting? That would be a good outcome for it - then once numbers are up you could bin this series. But generally I'd agree that the D2BD approach is a better one - encourage grass roots participation and build from the bottom. It'll take time to get the talent through - there's no "instant fix" which seems to be what people are looking for.

Susie Wolff is a good example of the problem - Mercedes needed a female driver in DTM and their choice was so limited that had to put Susie Wolff in the car.

The other thing I've noticed is that a lot of stuff seems to be focused on the "lack of funding for female drivers" - a lot of drivers (of whatever gender, race or other differentiating factor of your choice) fall off the ladder when the money runs out. That's one area where it's very much equal.