View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2020, 09:43 (Ref:4010966)   #43
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wouldn’t call it “soundly“, but he did beat him. And Button did score more points over their time together. I always thought that this reflected very well on Button.
I thought in 2011 of all seasons, Hamilton was soundly beaten on most Sundays by Button, who really showed his class. However, even then Hamilton was still regularly the only major challenger to Red Bull's dominance in qualifying, taking the only non-RBR pole position at Yeongam which reminded everyone his talent hadn't gone away simply due to many clumsy moments over the season, primarily involving Felipe Massa. But then again, only one McLaren driver that season was pulling off drives such as that Canada race and a win in Japan that was one of the most complete performances I've seen on race day. I know most wouldn't put Jenson in the same tier as Lewis and Fernando but he could outperform both regularly and cannot be regarded as notably weaker imo.

But to come back to the main point, I'm one of those boring relativists who doesn't like to pick a GOAT (aside from in men's tennis), but to discount Hamilton from the discussion given the way he has led Mercedes since Rosberg left would be a massive oversight imo. 2018 in particular was one of the most impressive title wins I can recall given the frequent advantage Ferrari had.