Thread: IMSA 2021
View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2020, 01:36 (Ref:4006596)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's 100% pro drivers don't want the kids and old guys on the track in their way. They cried the same thing about GTDs and in their way, we've seen how that's gone. Oh wait, it's the DPi guys hitting the GTDs not the other way around.

That said I'd rather not have the LMP3s on track at the same time due to the lap time variation and the challenges with the GTLM runners. I'd rather have fewer better cars than just adding cars to make the number bigger. I get why they need to for TV and selling the series, guarantee they aren't telling their partners the number is from new cars they may steal from another of their own series. The LMP3s already aren't the fields we had with the old Elan chassis, yeah they much faster and likely safer but sparse fields don't sell.

I could see them selling LMP3s on the enduros but even then the costs have to be insane relative the previous season. I'm sure the cars wouldn't have a problem with Daytona and they run at Sebring so damage there isn't a problem. And we have run fields bigger than the combined best LMP3 race and WeatherTech numbers so it can be done. But I just don't think it's worth cannibalizing another series for maybe 5 cars. Unless any ELMS guys want a change from there and bring their car, but I don't think that's likely.