View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2008, 02:58 (Ref:2107733)   #72
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Total bull****. It was never, ever, ever, EVER announced as $2 mil in cash. It was always intented as a prize to be put forward towards a champcar ride and was announced as such and is stated as such on the atlantic website. Don't try to spin something into something it is not.

Like the old $100k Barber saab/dodge "career advancement" award, this is the same. It is to help you as champion, it's not a full paid guaranteed ride. If I was Atlantic champion I'd be damn grateful to have it, instead of having squat.
Why, thank you for the compliment! Except it was not me who was trumpeting that the winner of Atlantic would have $2 million to put toward a CC ride, or $2 million to take to the team he signs with, etc. If it wasn't to be $2 million in the form of cash, cashier's check, money order or S & H Greenstamps, why then was the dollar sign in use? When you say "two million dollars" and write "two million dollars" in press releases and in fact I think when Matos won the championship they even gave him one of those great big checks like they do in the PGA or the Pro Bowler's Tour and it had "Two Million Dollars" written on it. Based on all of that, why I can see where the Great Unwashed out here would be thinking: "They must be giving him $2 million towards his CC ride!" BUT NO! Of Course They Are Not Really Giving Him Two Million Dollars! They are just saying that! He should be darn happy to have that big honkin' cardboard check! People in the know were able to discern that a mile away, they just never have bothered to mention it here in the span of time from when he won it to when he realized it wasn't worth the cardboard it was written on.

Further, neither I nor anyone else said anything about the award being a full ride. If (and I have no reason to doubt what Team Owner stated) it is true that the activation fee was $3.2 million in the form of sponsorship the driver has to secure, the driver was in effect given squat.

Every Tristan, Katherine and Bobby looking for a ride in CC knows they need to find at least that much...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 17 Jan 2008 at 03:03.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.