Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3749163)   #261
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't have a problem with people reporting rumours or speculation. There is of course a market for that. People want to read speculation, they want to know rumours, and they certainly want to discuss it. I have no problem at all with that. I just think things should be reported in a more transparent way.

Ford say they're not interested in DPi, but they're keeping an eye on it. I don't think an appropriate headline is "Ford keeping an eye on DPi", because that gives a false impression of what the actual content was. It is technically correct as that's what they said, but it was certainly not the intention of the quote, and it misleads the reader in order to get a sensational headline.

I think it's fine to post rumour and speculation. I just think it should be more transparent that what you're reporting is rumour. If I ran a news site, I'd be reporting Honda DPi rumours. But it'd be tagged as rumour or speculation, and it'd certainly not be after a click bait headline. Whilst rumour and speculation has always been part of motorsport, click bait headlines are certainly becoming worse. And I'd like it if it stopped.
I agree, however I wouldn't say the Honda stuff has fallen under the click bait headline. I equate the Honda stories to the Cadillac stories. Cadillac stories weren't official until November, but in September they were the worst kept secret in sports. Around Watkins Glen people seemed fairly certain that GM would jump into the new DPi formula with Cadillac, but it took until November for that to be official.

By the sounds of it, the Honda is under development already - like the Cadillac was - but we have to wait for this summer's announcement before it is official.

Chris