Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3855659)   #3327
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I note with interest that Michelin were happy to supply the 15" Champcar-sized
tyres for Superleague Formula (sized to fit 15"x12" front rims, 15x16 rear rims -- slightly beefier than the 15x11 front & 15x14 rear rims used by IRL and current Indycar).

I wonder why Michelin refused to tender for F1 and demanded 18" for F1 then!?

15" would be a good compromise rim size for F1 between 13" and 18" IMO.

15" tyres look good don't you think?

Crucially the overall diameter of the front tyre is smaller than the rear... Unlike in modern F1 that looks silly with 660 mm overall diameter fronts (same as rear tyre overall diameter) compared to the classic looking 635mm overall diameter front tyres used in the Goodyear era.
"I wonder why Michelin refused to tender for F1 and demanded 18" for F1 then!?"

It will be down to cost. Why spend money on developing a 15" tyre, when they have an 18" tyre that works perfectly well.