View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2020, 06:32 (Ref:3967119)   #67
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 could be popular as a spec series simply BECAUSE it is F1 and the marketing clout it has. You don't see young drivers saying "I aspire to be an F2 driver" because it's not the top step.

As long as it has the grandest prizes, the fastest cars, it will get the top coverage and the best drivers will flock to it. The fact that all those cars are the same won't matter a fig to the vast majority of fans.

But it's down to the coverage. In recent years the WEC had the wildest tech yet the smallest following. No coverage = few fans = no prestige. People don't care about tech or spec, they want the star drivers, the racing and the razamataz. F1 will have that whatever as long as there is mass market interest in "the sport".

I hate that BTW. People refer to the sport of F1. Surely the sport is motor racing, the branch is F1. We don't talk about "the sport of Premier League."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk