View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2014, 07:32 (Ref:3353305)   #36
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinig View Post
In fact I want to see the drivers pushing the cars to the limit, too, want to be as close as possible and for sure there is a risk involved, mainly for the drivers, but also for the spectators.

There were quite a few severe accidents in the recent years, keep in mind Davidson went airborne in the Toyota or McNish's crash. (Maybe one of the reasons he retired)

People had good luck.

To attract the best drivers and manufacturers the ACO has to do all reasonable efforts to reduce risks, whilst maintaining the Le Mans spirit.

Not for the cars - for the drivers, our heroes. And to ensure that manufacturers invest in that event. See Mercedes.
I understand what your saying, and I think we are close to agreeing with each other.
But if we go by the accidents you selected, there really isn't much you can do to the track to give the drivers better chances.
- Davidson in the Toyota was a high speed crash because of a slower and poorly driven GTE AM, the run off area Davidson had was massive and asphalted, Graved would surely made the car flip and roll.
- McNishes was the result of an too brave overtaking maneuver together with poor visibility in the R18. (And I do not think this had anything to do with McNish retiring, he's "old", it was his time, like Tom K, will retire soon)
- The Mercedes flips was because of poor aerodynamics. Again, not much track safety you can do to prevent these.

But until I hear several drivers complain about the lack of safety at Le Mans, I won't support track chances that lessen the Spectator experience.