View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3986773)   #6741
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, life isn't black or white and are grey zones that actually matter.
Let's think about andre lotterer, between early and mid '10 he was clearly the best audi factory lmp1 driver despite he debuted on a lmp1 only in 2009.

Then, think about fernando alonso, 2 times f1 world champion and by many considered one of best f1 driver ever existed, likely still one of the best if only could get in a competitive team. Despite this, alonso never outclassed his toyota mates for the simple reason he hadn't the same experience and know how about endurance racing of drivers like buemi or conway.

Once said that, there is no doubt that alonso would have outclassed everyone else in toyota team if he had more time to get more experience and better adapt to a different racing discipline.

I basically think the same about de vries, he is insanely more talented than other toyota drivers but these latters have years of experience on their side that is actually more important than talent alone in endurance. To me is just unusual for toyota to have one of most promising drivers around and use him just as test/reserve/development driver. But I can see if it's a de vries choice to get free as soon he'll get his chance to move to f1 in future.