View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4040977)   #61
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
What an extraordinary argument. Let's muse about it a little- suppose I play golf , and fluke a hole in one . Does that make me a Tiger Woods?
Maybe not fluke a hole in one. But from my limited knowledge of golf, Carnoustie seems to have the reputation of being the single hardest gold course. So if you won the British Open there a few time and set the course record, you'd be disappointed that you're not in the conversation?

Quote:
Or consider the curious case of Giancarlo Baghetti - he won his first three Grands Prix, the latter counting for the WDC .
Not really a sufficient body of work?

Quote:
Judged at his best , it is hard to argue against anyone being better (and let's conveniently ignore his subsequent slide into anonymity ) . Mansell and Reutemann were mighty on their day - but they just had fewer days than their betters .
Not everyone has the benefit of being in a driver development program since they were 12. The process of becoming a top line driver was ad hoc and more to do with the personality of the driver rather than skill. At a time where cars weren't so set in their relative competitiveness like it is now.

Driving for Lotus could be the equivalent of driving in GP2 nowadays. Idk what happened to him at the end of 85, but Nigel Mansell, end of 85 -92 (even 93), is in the conversation.