View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2539318)   #10
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's getting special help from IMSA because of higher frontal area... ok I guess

But this page is a great illustration of how far BMW have pushed the rules:
-the packaging is all tight and clever, especially at the front. I'm not sure the cooling ducts, especially the one for the tightly-packaged gearbox, are within the spirit of the rules since they modify the look of the car quite a bit and seem to require structural mods.
-the gearbox is a (rear-mounted) transaxle... I can search the net all I want and no page mention an E90 with a transaxle. Prodrive was turned down in 2001 when they were ready for their FIA GT debut with gears in the gearbox facing the wrong way... position wasn't even changed!
-they packaged a catalytic converter in the passenger compartment's floor! So that means a very hot ride for a eventual passengers! And seriously, if engine components can be packaged in the passenger's space, I'd say they've opened a can of worms: I guess future GT entrants will like to fit a remote electric water pump, maybe an alternator, the ECU & battery (already done) and other things they'll think about and bring in a lot of weight there. My point: this is no longer a GT car's passenger compartment!