Thread: WEC Ginetta LMP1
View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3912917)   #990
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Apparently Dragonspeed were trying to get permission to run a Ginetta instead of their BR1. That would have been interesting.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...-24-hours.html
Maybe, but I fail to see who had anything to gain actually.

* The BR1 is not a bad car, otherwise SMP would not have had the results either
* Dragonspeed seems to be unable to get the car sorted. Does that tell us something about the car, or something about the team itself?

Now let them change the BR1 to a car they have 0 experience with, and that hasn't been raced for a year.
I'll agree that the Ginetta has been developed and upgraded and all, but I don't think it is at BR1 level yet, certainly not in the hands of a team that has no experience with it.

Let's say they achieve the same results as with their BR1, then what would be the conclusion?
* the Ginetta is still no good ?
or
* the Ginetta is still not reliable (enough) ?
or
* Dragonspeed is not the right team to run such a car ?
or

I don't think Dragonspeed would have gained anything in this scenario and I'm not sure it would have done Ginetta a lot of good either, by putting in a race rather unprepared.

Let them prepare for 2019-2020 and we'll see at the races what the car is worth.