View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2016, 08:39 (Ref:3697805)   #1227
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm not saying I disagree - if anyone has earned manufacturer support the Team Dynamics probably fit the bill more than anyone else.
I feel though that it is more of Honda spotting a marketing opportunity, with a team already committed to entering the BTCC with their marque.

How did 888 'earn' their manufacturer support, when their debut was as a manufacturer having been formed specifically to run Vauxhall's motorsport?

IMO, 2008 was the last season of full works entries with SEAT's withdrawal signaling the end. After this, the manufacturer entries (including most recently PMR/Vauxhall and BMR Subaru) are all a marketing and sponsorship partnership rather than the manufacturer deciding to enter motorsport.

That is the way BTCC is nowadays, and it is more healthy as a result. Many other series are damaged by a limited number of manufacturer entries, who then hold a series to ransom when they are not getting the results they hoped for.
Precisely! Ok I might have come at the subject the arse-end way round, but this is what I've been trying to say. The teams are 'Manufacturer backed/sponsored/business agreement' deals, not 'X Manufacturer wants to go racing so let's form a/partner with a team' operations any more.

Ok, shake hands and agree to disagree on the rest and let's get back on topic, I'm sure someone will be along with an 'I know something you don't know' rumour or a mediocre back marker will be making an announcement on social media next Thursday at 6 minutes past lunchtime live #Daddysgotdeeppockets!